True Lemon has everything you’d want in a lemon juice … sans the juicer or rind. Learn why True Lemon deserves to be in every Clean Eating pantry.
A question for you: What food has zero calories, zero fat, zero sugar, less than one gram of carbs and 25% of your U.S. recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C?
If you answered lemons (which I bet you didn’t), you’d be only partially right.
It’s called True Lemon® , and it’s one of those foods that once you discover it, you can’t really imagine not always having some of it around.
Not only is it a healthy way to make plain old water taste better, but you can use it in place of fresh lemon juice in things like tea and healthy recipes (for example vinaigrettes for dressing your salad.)
The best part? True Lemon is the ultimate portable flavor-enhancer. While carting around a whole lemon to add to your tea isn’t really practical for most people, a packet of True Lemon can accomplish the same thing with less effort. And because it’s crystallized, the True Lemon people can put it in tiny, 0.8 gram packets that you can litter around the places where you’d need it the most, like the car glove box, your laptop bag, your desk drawer and even your coat pocket.
In other words, True Lemon is like carrying a fresh lemon with you in your pocket — without the bulk, rind, and lemon juicer implement to contend with.
What Is True Lemon? And is it Real Lemon?
True Lemon is real lemon — it’s made from lemon juices and the volatile oils in lemon rinds which give lemons their fragrance, vitamins and sour “punch” that we all love in drinks, teas and recipes. The difference between real lemons and the bag of lemons in the green or yellow mesh pouch that you buy at the grocery store has to do with the portability of it.
The folks at Real Lemon have developed a way to take lemon juice from whole lemons, as well as the oils from the lemon’s rind, and crystallize it in a way that preserves the natural flavor, tartness and properties of lemon juice. They then wrap it up in a tiny package that is more economical and convenient than carrying around a bag of lemons (or grabbing one of those possibly unsanitary lemon wedges off from the drink station at a restaurant.)
Want a little lemon kick to your iced tea or sparkling water? No problem. Just pull out a packet of Real Lemon, tear it open, and dump it in. Honestly, I’d challenge anyone to tell the difference between Real Lemon and the “real” stuff in the heavy yellow rind. I know a bunch of “lemon-in-my -tea” fanatics who have switched to Real Lemon because they can control the tartness, and add lemon flavor, even when a restaurant doesn’t have fresh lemon wedges available.
True Lemon and Recipes and Baking
True Lemon is also a great stand-in for fresh lemon juice in things like marinades, coating or salad dressings.
Case in Point: While I always try to keep some fresh lemons on hand, a few nights ago, I ran short when I was whipping together a vinaigrettes. I was actually a bit apprehensive about substituting Real Lemon powder in for the fresh stuff, but really didn’t have much choice. In the end, I was surprised at what a great stand-in Real Lemon was for fresh lemon juice. I have a suspicion that most people, including myself, would never be able to tell the difference.
Benefits of True Lemon
- Real and True: Made from real lemon juice and lemon oils, so there are no artificial flavors
- No Artificial Sweeteners: Although True Lemon contains a very small amount of maltodextrin, which is a natural sweetener — this contributes very few calories (immeasurable, actually.)
- Salt Substitute: Many people on salt-restricted diets find that the inclusion of sour foods — including lemon or lime juice, for example — allow them to reduce the amount of salt in dishes. So True Lemon, which has zero sodium, can be a smart, healthy way to reduce your sodium consumption.
- Convenience: True Lemon is extremely convenient, due to the packaging. It’s so portable that you can literally carry a few packets in your purse or wallet for those times that you need to jazz up your meals or drinks — even away from home.
- Inexpensive: True Lemon is also inexpensive, compare to fresh lemons. For example, a box of 32 packets of Real Lemon costs less than $4 dollars typically. Compared to fresh lemons, this is a bargain. Especially when you consider the “rot factor” — which is always an issue with fresh produce.
- Low-Carb:If you are on a low-carb diet, True Lemon is a great choice for flavoring water, drinks and recipes. It has less than one carb, making it ideal for diets like South Beach.
Ways to Use True Lemon
There are a number of ways that you can use True Lemon as part of a healthy, clean diet. They include:
- Flavoring Water: This is one of my favorites. Let’s face it, water is boring. But buy some sparkling water and add a little True Lemon, and everything changes. The same holds true for tap water or bottled water.
- In Teas: Like your tea each morning, afternoon or evening, but get kind of worn out by the same old flavor (or not interested in carting in whole lemons each day? Just reach in your cubicle drawer and grab some True Lemon. ‘Nuff said.
- Cooking: Like so much fresh produce, I buy too much of it and it becomes moldy — or in the case of lemons — dried up. Real Lemon lets me reduce the waste, while still having a great source of lemons always available at my house … on my terms. One packet of True Lemon is the equivalent of one tablespoon of fresh lemon or lime juice. Suggested uses are basically wherever fresh lemon juice is called for. As I’ve already mentioned, True Lemon can also be a great source of lemon flavor in marinades, rubs and homemade herbs and spice seasoning mixes.
True Lemon Coupon: Get A Free True Lemon Coupon
The best part about True Lemon is that you don’t just have to take my word for their product. They offer a True Lemon coupon that let’s you get a sample of True Lemon for free.
I love companies that believe in their product enough to offer you things like free samples, or coupons for free trial products, so you should take advantage of this for yourself. Try True Lemon out and then come back and tell me if you are as as high on their product as I am. If you love it, fine. If you hate it, I want to hear that as well.
Where To Buy True Lemon
True Lemon is available in grocery stores, although you may have to inquire about it, or poke around to find where they are actually stocking it. I found it in the juice isle, but other grocery stores shelf it in the baking isle. Each place is different.
If you can’t find it locally, the True Lemon website provides a product locator that will help you find a local grocer or health food store that offers it. Otherwise, you can buy it online at places like Amazon.com. Because it’s a lightweight product, shipping tends to be minimal. So if you can’t physically find it in your supermarket, online can make a lot of sense.
Other Products from True Lemon: True Lime and True Orange
Is lemon not your gig? Prefer a little lime or orange? The manufacturers of True Lemon also offer other citrus options, including Pure Lime and Pure Orange. Check them out when you get a chance.