Looking for a healthy start to your day? Try this recipe for low-fat oatmeal protein pancakes made extra-rich with an unexpected ingredient: low-fat cottage cheese!
Pancakes and waffles aren’t typically considered “health” foods. They are usually high in simple carbs (especially when you add syrup or powdered sugar), high-in-fat thanks to the oil and butter, and generally low in protein.
But with a few changes in ingredients, it is possible to have your Sunday morning pancakes without even knowing that that you are eating a low-fat, high-protein version of a food that is usually off-limits for people trying to eat healthy.
This recipe, courtesy of Liz Fitness, uses low-fat cottage cheese to as a replacement for the usual oil and whole eggs in pancakes; replaces the highly-refined, high-glycemic pancake mix with whole grain oats, and uses fresh berries as a sweet and healthy alternative to the typical puddle of Log Cabin syrup.
Even better, the cottage cheese and egg whites in the recipe help boost the protein content of these pancakes, making this a perfect breakfast before heading to the gym.
The addition of an artificial sweetener like Splenda is optional. Try pureed fresh stawberries, mashed raspberries and even sliced bananas for a touch of sweetness. Sprinkle a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
Or splurge a little bit with a tablespoon of REAL maple syrup, which only adds an additional 50 calories to the recipe. Instead of butter, try a tablespoon of natural peanut butter which is rich in healthy fats. This tastes particularly well with the maple syrup.
Low-Fat Oatmeal Protein Pancakes with Cottage Cheese
Recipe makes two servings of three, 1/4 cup pancakes
1/2 cup egg whites
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup frozen, warmed berries with their juices as a topping or sugar free syrup
Splenda to taste
- Blend first four ingredients until smooth (I use the magic bullet; if you use a blender be sure to put the wet ingredients in first)
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto heated griddle or non-stick pan (check to see if its hot enough with a splash of water-if it sizzles, its hot enough)
- When pancake bubbles, flip and cook the other side
- Top with frozen, organic strawberries-warmed and sliced and poured over the top with their juices. Or substitute fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or bananas. You can use Splenda to taste.
Makes 2 Servings (Three ¼ cup pancakes with ¼ cup strawberries)
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.0 g
Cholesterol: 2.3 mg
Sodium: 280.0 mg
Potassium: 297.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 33.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g
Sugars: 2.5 g
Protein: 21.3 g
Vitamin A 0.9 %
Vitamin B-12 5.9 %
Vitamin B-6 5.0 %
Vitamin C 37.9 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 2.4 %
Calcium 9.1 %
Copper 14.4 %
Folate 9.5 %
Iron 13.2 %
Magnesium 19.5 %
Manganese 104.0 %
Niacin 3.5 %
Pantothenic Acid 7.1 %
Phosphorus 29.7 %
Riboflavin 9.9 %
Selenium 7.8 %
Thiamin 21.4 %
Zinc 12.2 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
See the original recipe from Liz Fitness.
Tags: Cholesterol, Complete Protein, Cooking, Cottage Cheese, Diet, Fish, Healthy Breakfast, Healthy Recipes & Snacks, High Protein Pancake, High-Protein Foods, Low Fat High Protein Pancake, Low Fat Pancake, Low-Fat Foods, Nutrition, Oatmeal Pancake, Oats, Protein Pancake, Protein Shakes, Repetitions, Treadmill
Category: Healthy Recipes & Snacks
About the Author (Author Profile)Leader of the Best Internet Marketing Team in the World By Day, Fitness Nerd By Night.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Simply Fit » Blog Archive » All about being healthy | March 1, 2009
- Protein Pancakes « The Balance Broad | October 30, 2009
- How I lost 18 lbs in 2 months with this simple plan… « My Journey to Be Hella Fit | November 15, 2009
- Panquecas de avena con requesón | Recetas Light | August 16, 2010
- Pro-pancakes « The Constant Baker | October 28, 2010
- Wonderslim #7 - Page 21 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc | April 20, 2012